[Dovecot] I wrote a managesieve server for Dovecot

Neale Pickett neale at woozle.org
Thu Feb 8 21:23:24 UTC 2007

I have written a managesieve server from scratch in Python.  I did just enough
work to get it working with avelsieve (the squirrelmail plugin), smartsieve,
and KDE's sieve kioplugin.  It supports the entire Internet draft.  Since I
didn't have a working sieve server to compare against, I'm not sure if it's
100% compatible with timsieved.  Client applications seem to work okay
anyway.

I wrote it in such a way as to decouple how authentication is carried out and
how sieve scripts are actually stored, so you could for instance modify this
to work with SASL and Exim.  Currently it only has code for PAM and Dovecot's
LDA, because I run Postfix :).  TLS support is in the code but disabled
because I had problems writing a unit test for it.  All my connections are
from localhost anyway.

http://woozle.org/~neale/repos/pysieved if anyone is interested.

I haven't looked closely at Stephan Bosch's managesieve server in C but I do
want to acknowledge that he has written a C managesieve server that currently
exists as a patch to the Dovecot source code.  People looking for a
managesieve implementation in C are encouraged to try his patch out:
http://sinas.rename-it.nl/~sirius/

Neale