[Dovecot] Planning a dovecot deployment: issues and questions

Dan Price dp at eng.sun.com
Fri Feb 2 19:03:47 UTC 2007

On Fri 02 Feb 2007 at 10:53AM, Eric Rostetter wrote:

> I would say it is a great IMAP/POP server for almost any site.
> Best would be to wait for the release version of course, but most
> (not all) of the RC releases are stable.

Thanks Eric!  I'm going to pull down rc21 today; hopefully that will
be something I can give to a wider group of testers.

> We use mbox format and have no problems, though our largest mailboxe
> is 600 MB, so I have no idea how this would work with a 1.1 GB mailbox.
> I'd be sure you have lots of memory in the machine if you want to be
> handling mailboxes that size.

Well, we should have 32GB of RAM.

> We use sendmail for MTA, procmail for filters, dovecot for pop3/imap,
> Horde/IMP for webmail, and have no problems.  You don't have to move
> to maildir, or sieve, or anything else.  dovecot plays nice with almost
> any software...

Super.  The endorsement helps :)  It's always nice to hear from someone
with the same setup you have.

        -dp

--
Daniel Price - Solaris Kernel Engineering - dp at eng.sun.com - blogs.sun.com/dp