[Dovecot] Indexing Performance Question (was tpop3d vs dovecot)

Jan Srzednicki w at expro.pl
Fri Feb 2 11:42:54 UTC 2007

On Fri, Feb 02, 2007 at 12:24:42AM +0200, Timo Sirainen wrote:
> On 1.2.2007, at 3.39, Nate wrote:
>
> The reason why the messages are read in the first place is because
> the message sizes need to be returned so that linefeeds are counted
> in CR+LF format, while they're typically stored in LF-only format. So
> if Dovecot just stat()ed the file and returned that as the message's
> size, it would be violating the POP3 spec. tpop3d seems to be doing
> that.

Wouldn't it make sense to add the line count field to the index file?
That would solve the CR+LF issue.

And I have another idea, which some time ago saved my butt with Courier:
add a line count L=?? maildir flag, which would make messages look like:

-rw-------    1 root     root         4811 Feb  9  2006 1138386088.22293_0.mail1,S=4811,L=104

(we had to patch Courier to use that)

This flag could be set by LDA or when generating the index. Wouldn't
this solve the issue in an elegant way?

--
Jan Srzednicki
w at expro.pl