[Dovecot] rule of thumb for indexing overhead

Tom Bombadil grlists at gmail.com
Wed Aug 29 21:44:15 EEST 2007

> Indexes aren't normally "rebuilt", they're "updated". And the update
> overhead is practically nothing with maildir.
>
> I just wrote this: http://wiki.dovecot.org/LDA/Indexing

Hi Timo...

So, if I understand this correctly, if I'm using maildir, I could use
exim to do the local delivery instead of dovecot's LDA, and the index
update wouldn't such a big problem?

In my case, local delivery and the real imap servers are in different
boxes, so by having exim doing the local delivery, I'd avoid a dovecot
install in the local delivery boxes. And of course, exim doesn't have to
spawn dovecot's delivery agent on every siingle piece of mail.

Also, are there any drawbacks of using exim to do the local delivery?

Thanks a bunch,
g.