[Dovecot] Log format question...

Mike Cisar mcisar at starmania.net
Mon Aug 27 00:10:13 EEST 2007

> > What about if %u were permanently changed... but %n and %d left with
> > the original values. It would seem that those people relying on the
> > behavior of %u being stripped would not likely be using nor caring
> > about the values of %n and %d since they are essentially discarding
> > them anyway?  That way you have %u acting as the "authentication
> > username", and %n and %d containing the "username" and "domain" (as
> sent by the client).
>
> Maybe, but it's still an incompatible change that could break existing
> installations. Also you're thinking only about the case when you want
> to drop the domain. auth_username_format can be used for a lot of other
> things as well. It gets confusing if %n and %d sometimes change, but
> sometimes don't.

True, I hadn't thought about that.

I'm not much of a C programmer especially in the scheme of something as
complex as Dovecot... but if you could be so kind as to point me within a
couple of metres of the location in the code where the changes to %n and %d
get made by auth_username_format, I'll try to patch something myself locally
on my servers to get the result I need for now and leave it up to you to
decide if it's worthwhile adding additional variables at some point down the
road to expose the original values.

Cheers,