[Dovecot] UW-IMAP to Dovecot conversion - How to migrate the folders?

Scott Silva ssilva at sgvwater.com
Tue Aug 21 01:34:20 EEST 2007

Patrick - South Valley Internet spake the following on 8/20/2007 3:21 PM:
> Hi all,
>
> I've read so much information on this that I'm a little confused as to
> what to follow.  Here's what's going on:
>
> We just migrated away from our AIX machines which were running Postfix
> and UW-IMAP.  We're now running Postfix with Dovecot.  I already
> converted everyone's mbox file to maildir, but now I'm having a little
> troubles with how to exactly populate their IMAP folders.  People are
> saying they cannot see their folders.  These 'folders' they are talking
> about can be found in their /home directory.
>
> I have the following URLs I've been looking at:
> http://wiki.dovecot.org/Migration/MailFormat
> http://people.redhat.com/rkeech/maildir-migration.txt
> http://wiki.dovecot.org/Plugins/Convert
> http://www.dovecot.org/list/dovecot/2007-June/023757.html
>
> What would be the suggested method to convert them?  So far I understand
> that I need to somehow populate the /home/USERNAME/Maildir/subscriptions
> file with the items located in /home/USERNAME/.mailboxlist and then I
> don't know what to do from there.  I don't know if I need to incorporate
> a Dovecot plugin, or if there is a script I can run to do this for me.
>
> Since this is a live server, I would prefer to test on a single account
> before I run a plugin that would effect all users globally.
>
> Any help would be very appreciated - thanks in advance!
>
> Patrick

Have you tried to edit their subscriptions file?
Or log in with a client to one of the accounts and use its subscribe feature?
With the second method, you could get an idea of what the subscriptions layout
is and use a copy / sed script to fix each one.

--

MailScanner is like deodorant...
You hope everybody uses it, and