[Dovecot] MANAGESIEVE patch v6 for dovecot 1.0.3

Stephan Bosch stephan at rename-it.nl
Fri Aug 17 16:04:26 EEST 2007

On Fri, 2007-08-17 at 11:56 +0100, Robin Breathe wrote:
> Stephan Bosch wrote:
> > I have updated the MANAGESIEVE patch to (hopefully) fix the compilation
> > issues reported by Robin Breathe. This is a patch against the latest
> > stable release 1.0.3. It currently won't compile with 1.1 due to
> > significant changes in the master code.
>
> I can confirm that it's now compiling fairly cleanly with Sun CC under
> Solaris 10 again, thanks.
Nice.

> Should the current incarnation of the patch support TLS, or is there
> anything I need to do to enable TLS for managesieve; the Thunderbird
> Sieve extension hangs when "Use TLS" option is selected.
Yes, it should. I'll have a look at the sieve extension's TLS support
this evening (i didn't know it supported TLS already). I re-tested the
TLS support of the managesieve patch v6 at my end and it still works.

You could test it yourself using the method I described earlier:

http://dovecot.org/list/dovecot/2007-August/024470.html

Last time I forgot to mention that the second parameter to the
authenticate "plain" should be a bese64-encoded version of a string
"\0username\0password" (http://www.ietf.org/rfc/rfc4616.txt). The
following script should for example do the trick if your username would
be breathe with password hutsefluts:

#!/usr/bin/perl
use MIME::Base64 ();
print MIME::Base64::encode("\0breathe\0hutsefluts");

This produces 'AGJyZWF0aGUAaHV0c2VmbHV0cw==' and thus you would send the
following command after TLS negotiation:

AUTHENTICATE "PLAIN" "AGJyZWF0aGUAaHV0c2VmbHV0cw=="

Please let me know when problems occur. Include any log lines that might
be of interest.

Regards,

Stephan.