[Dovecot] Dovecot IMAP/POP3 Proxy with LDAP

Raphael Bittencourt S. Costa raphaelbscosta at gmail.com
Fri Aug 17 00:58:07 EEST 2007

Hello all,

I'm having problems to make Dovecot proxy work, I configured it
following dovecot's site. See my test below:

It accepts login and password and then closes the connection.

bastion01:~/build# telnet localhost 110
Trying 127.0.0.1...
Connected to localhost.
Escape character is '^]'.
+OK Dovecot ready.
user raphael.costa at xxxx.com.br
+OK
pass xxxxxx
+OK Logged in.
Connection closed by foreign host.

See that it get the host information but still try to access the mbox
locally.

Aug 16 16:22:36 bastion01 dovecot: auth(default):
ldap(raphael.costa at xxxx.com.br,127.0.0.1): bind:
dn=cn=raphael.costa,ou=xxxx.com.br,ou=accounts,o=comMail
Aug 16 16:22:36 bastion01 dovecot: auth(default): client out: OK
2       user=raphael.costa at xxxx.com.br
host=mailserver-01.xxxx.com.br
Aug 16 16:22:36 bastion01 dovecot: auth(default): master in: REQUEST
1       3894    2

Aug 16 16:22:36 bastion01 dovecot: POP3(raphael.costa at xxxx.com.br):
maildir: access(/dev/null/Maildir, rwx): failed: Not a directory
Aug 16 16:22:36 bastion01 dovecot: POP3(raphael.costa at xxxx.com.br):
maildir: couldn't find root dir
Aug 16 16:22:36 bastion01 dovecot: POP3(raphael.costa at xxxx.com.br):
mbox: root: access(/dev/null/mail, rwx) failed: Not a directory
Aug 16 16:22:36 bastion01 dovecot: POP3(raphael.costa at xxxx.com.br):
mbox: root: access(/dev/null/Mail, rwx) failed: Not a directory
Aug 16 16:22:36 bastion01 dovecot: POP3(raphael.costa at xxxx.com.br):
mbox: checking if we are chrooted:
Aug 16 16:22:36 bastion01 dovecot: POP3(raphael.costa at xxxx.com.br): mbox
autodetect: data=
Aug 16 16:22:36 bastion01 dovecot: POP3(raphael.costa at xxxx.com.br): mbox
autodetect: has .imap/: stat(/.imap) failed: No such file or directory
Aug 16 16:22:36 bastion01 dovecot: POP3(raphael.costa at xxxx.com.br): mbox
autodetect: has inbox: stat(/inbox) failed: No such file or directory
Aug 16 16:22:36 bastion01 dovecot: POP3(raphael.costa at xxxx.com.br): mbox
autodetect: has mbox: stat(/mbox) failed: No such file or directory
Aug 16 16:22:36 bastion01 dovecot: POP3(raphael.costa at xxxx.com.br):
mbox: root mail directory not found

My dovecot-ldap.conf:
pass_attrs =
uid=user,userPassword=password,mailMessageStore=userdb_home,qmailUID=userdb_uid,qmailGID=userdb_gid,proxy,mailHost=host

What am I doing wrong?

Raphael Costa