[Dovecot] use of deliver from procmail advisable?

martin f krafft madduck at madduck.net
Wed Aug 15 19:08:58 EEST 2007

also sprach Jerry Yeager <jerry at scene-naturally.dyndns.org> [2007.08.15.1758 +0200]:
> a) Postfix milter to run ClamAv, eh something like this (for Linux fans)
> b) then use the regular Postfix <--> SpamAssassin <--> LDA (with sieve)
> setup (message routing via Postfix master.cf) so that individual users can
> set their own SA rules and vacation stuff.

This is exactly how I used to have it but then the need for
a vacation autoresponse to the From: address (as opposed to
Return-Path) arose and I had to switch to procmail:

  http://dovecot.org/list/dovecot/2007-August/024766.html

Before that, I was using spamc with --pipe-to, but always had a bad
feeling about that, since the manpage says:

  Note that there is a very slight chance mail will be lost here,
  because if the fork-and-exec fails there’s no place to put the
  mail message.

and my message to SA-users on this was never answered[0].

0. http://marc.info/?l=spamassassin-users&m=115185095923772&w=2

Now I am using procmail and at least now that failure will cause
postfix to defer a message.

  \____ echo mailto: !#^."<*>"|tr "<*> mailto:" net at madduck

half a bee, philosophically, must ipso facto half not be.
but half the bee has got to be, vis-a-vis its entity. you see?
but can a bee be said to be or not to be an entire bee,
when half the bee is not a bee, due to some ancient injury?
                                                       -- monty python

spamtraps: madduck.bogus at madduck.net