[Dovecot] imap memory footprint rather large

martin f krafft madduck at madduck.net
Tue Aug 14 09:13:25 EEST 2007

also sprach Timo Sirainen <tss at iki.fi> [2007.08.14.0028 +0200]:
> What exactly do you mean by FETCHing metadata? Something like ENVELOPE
> or BODYSTRUCTURE? And this is fetched for all messages instead of just
> new ones? That could easily explain why cache is so large.

The code is:

  response = imapobj.fetch('1:%d' % maxmsgid, '(FLAGS UID INTERNALDATE)')[1]

meaning that it obtains (FLAGS UID INTERNALDATE) for all messages in
a folder every time.

It needs to do this to be able to synchronise flags. But does it
mean that the server has to keep it all in memory? I am not sure...

  \____ echo mailto: !#^."<*>"|tr "<*> mailto:" net at madduck

"never eat more than you can lift."
                                                       -- miss piggy

spamtraps: madduck.bogus at madduck.net