[Dovecot] Log format question...

Mike Cisar mlists at starmania.net
Tue Aug 14 03:44:51 EEST 2007

Trying to do a little (cosmetic) tweak to my configuration and just don't
seem to be able to come up with a set of options that works.

My POP/IMAP configuration is working just fine in terms of mail retrieval,
etc.  What I'm seeing in the logs now is...

Aug 13 18:15:17 test2 dovecot: pop3-login: Login: user=<support>,
method=PLAIN, rip=10.11.12.12, lip=10.11.12.13

I would prefer (for ease of troubleshooting) to have
"user=<support at realm.com>" appear in the logs instead, to save having to
figure the realm from the IP value.  Have played around with various
combinations of %u, %n and %d and all I seem to be able to accomplish is
break the working part of the config.  I'm sure the answer is probably
something simple, or some combination I haven't tried... but it's certainly
escaping me at the moment.

The relevant (I think) part of my config follows.  The usernames in the
mentioned passwd and shadow files are in the 'user' format (ie. not
'user at realm').

--snip--
mail_location = mbox:/vhome/%l/home/%n/mail:INBOX=/var/spool/vmail/%l/%n
auth_username_format = %n
passdb passwd-file {
  args = /etc/vmail/shadow.%l
}
userdb passwd-file {
  args = /etc/vmail/passwd.%l
}
login_log_format_elements = user=<%u> method=%m rip=%r lip=%l %c
--snip--

Hints and suggestions appreciated!

Cheers,