[Dovecot] "pipe" plugin

Nicolas Boullis nicolas.boullis at ecp.fr
Mon Aug 13 16:09:31 EEST 2007

Hi,

Charles Marcus wrote:

> This looks interesting - how does it differ from the DSPAM plug-in?
> Maybe a generic plug-in could be created that would allow it to be used
> with any anti-spa, solution (I prefer ASSP myself)...

This plugin has nothing spamassassin-specific. Although I don't know any
other anti-spam software that spamassassin, I think it should be
possible to use this plugin with any of them. This plugin is not even
specifi to spam/ham learning, and I mentionned an "out box" as a
possible use for it.

As for the differences with the DSPAM plugin, the latter allows to learn
a mail as a HAM when it is moved *out* of the SPAM folder. This is done
by working at the IMAP level and in a way I consider hackish. (As far as
I understand IMAP, moving a message does not exist; you can only copy
and then delete the source. Hence it detects copying a message from the
SPAM folder, which mean you can't get a copy of a SPAM without learning
it as a HAM.)

My plugin, is triggered whenever a message is written into a folder.
Hence 2 folders are needed for ham/spam learning. But it allows you to
trigger on APPENDed messages as well (for messages that come from an
external source), or on delivered messages.

Feel free to try this plugin with your prefered anti-spam software and
to report how fine (or bad) it works for you.

Cheers,

Nicolas