[Dovecot] using complete email address as username

Jim Horner jhorner at arinbe.com
Sun Aug 12 21:47:14 EEST 2007

On Sunday 12 August 2007 14:10:53 WJCarpenter wrote:
> I've been poking around the dovecot wiki, and this idea looks
> plausible.  I'm just double-checking with the assembled experts to see
> if there is some "gotcha" that will happen to me down the road.

"Assembled experts"? Not here but we do use the full email address for
username. We have not experienced any problems with respect to Dovecot. We
have one "main" domain (foo.com) which has access to local services. So our
issues are with local services (ssh and samba) and training the
users at afoo.com to understand to dump the @foo.com for their username for
these local services. I understand their confusion because even the intranet
websites use their full email address for their username. I haven't really
put any real man-power into solving this issue(s) perhaps Kerberos.

We use /some/path/domain/username to get rid of the '@'.

> I do also plan to use ACLs for some things, so there could be ACL
> entries of the form:
>
>   user:foo at example.com ...

This works.

> I will probably be using the quota plugin for individual users right
> away and group quotas later when that's officially available.

We are not using quotas but assume they work.

Jim