[Dovecot] courier-dovecot-migrate.pl destroyed my indices... still recovering...

Timo Sirainen tss at iki.fi
Thu Aug 9 16:39:39 EEST 2007

On Thu, 2007-08-09 at 15:35 +0200, Ralf Hildebrandt wrote:
> > Creating dovecot-uidlist then caused the UIDVALIDITY to change, which
> > causes IMAP clients to redownload all messages, and as you can see
> > Dovecot doesn't handle UIDVALIDITY changes all that nicely. v1.1 does a
> > better job with it though.
>
> So, is there a way to migrate WITHOUT all my pop3 users re-downloading
> everything?

Well, what you just did probably did that. It just caused IMAP users to
download the mails again, but that's more transparent to users because
it doesn't create duplicates.

I did think about adding the possibility of storing POP3 UIDLs to a
separate field in dovecot-uidlist for v1.1, but I haven't managed to
write that code yet.