[Dovecot] courier-dovecot-migrate.pl destroyed my indices... still recovering...

Timo Sirainen tss at iki.fi
Thu Aug 9 16:32:24 EEST 2007

On Thu, 2007-08-09 at 15:19 +0200, Ralf Hildebrandt wrote:
> I tried to disable courier-pop3 today in favour of dovecot pop3.
> Prior to that I ran:
>
> find /home -maxdepth 1 -type d  | xargs --replace /usr/local/scripts/courier-dovecot-migrate.pl --overwrite --recursive --convert {}
>
> ( /home is hashed two levels deep: /home/a/a/aanton/Maildir/ )
>
> After that, I got lots of errors like:
>
> Aug  9 13:02:40 postamt dovecot: IMAP(azenclu): Maildir /home/a/z/azenclu/Maildir sync: UIDVALIDITY changed (1167827929 -> 1058881980)
..

If you had run Dovecot as IMAP server, then it wasn't such a great idea
to run the migration, because it recreates dovecot-uidlist files trying
to make them compatible with Courier's POP3 uidlist file.

Creating dovecot-uidlist then caused the UIDVALIDITY to change, which
causes IMAP clients to redownload all messages, and as you can see
Dovecot doesn't handle UIDVALIDITY changes all that nicely. v1.1 does a
better job with it though.