[Dovecot] lda: vacation auto-reply for a virtual address

martin f krafft madduck at madduck.net
Wed Aug 8 14:25:48 EEST 2007

Hi, I am using Dovecot to manage a complex virtual mailbox setup.
It's all working splendidly, thanks to the Dovecot LDA.

This morning, however, I needed to create a vacation-style autoreply
for one of the virtual addresses. I made use of cmusieve,
authored a little sieve script, and had it working in no time...
until I discovered how limited sieve's vacation module is. Most
importantly: it's hardcoded to use the Return-Path of a message, but
in this very case, I need to actually use the address in the from
header. So I had to give up on sieve and am now looking for another
solution, but without much success.

Given that mail is delivered by the Dovecot LDA, is there any way to
make deliver pass it off to e.g. procmail in such a way that
$HOME is set to /srv/vmail/domain.org/localpart, so that procmail
can find the .procmailrc?

Cheers,

  \____ echo mailto: !#^."<*>"|tr "<*> mailto:" net at madduck

"we are trapped in the belly of this horrible machine,
 and the machine is bleeding to death."
                                        -- godspeed you black emperor!

spamtraps: madduck.bogus at madduck.net