[Dovecot] NFS rquota support

Mike Brudenell pmb1 at york.ac.uk
Tue Aug 7 16:06:01 EEST 2007

Greetings -

On 7 Aug 2007, at 13:54, Stewart Dean wrote:

> Sorry to be so clueless, but all the activity about rquotad drives
> me to admit my puzzlement (or ignorance)...
> I run rquotad on my mail server that also runs DC....rquotad is
> used by the other 3 hosts (a login/FTP server, a mailing list
> server and a user mgmnt server) that NFS mount the folder and inbox
> filesystem...which are under filesystem quota on the mail server
> where they are physically resident.  AFAIK it is not queried on the
> mail server...after all, filesystem quota is running there.  How/
> why does DC need/use rquotad?

I think you have answered your own questions actually! ...

rquotad is used to allow other machines that NFS-mount a filestore.
The rquotad daemon runs on the machine serving up the filestore to
the other clients.

You say that your mail filestore physically resides on your mail
server.  That means it is a locally attached disk (not mounted using
NFS from some other server), and so Dovecot can, and does, obtain
quotas directly from it: it does not need to ask an rquotad daemon.

In contrast here we have the mailstore on a NetApp filer, and mount
it over NFS on our machines running Dovecot.  In this case Dovecot
cannot query the quota directly because the filestore isn't on
locally attached disk.  Instead it must use an RPC (Remote Procedure
Call) to ask the rquotad daemon running on the file server (in this
case the NetApp filer) what the quota usage and limits are.

Cheers,
Mike B-)

--
The Computing Service, University of York, Heslington, York Yo10 5DD, UK
Tel:+44-1904-433811  FAX:+44-1904-433740

* Unsolicited commercial e-mail is NOT welcome at this e-mail address. *