[Dovecot] Disable IMAP for certain users, but not Webmailer

Geert Hendrickx ghen at telenet.be
Sun Aug 5 20:54:03 EEST 2007

On Sun, Aug 05, 2007 at 09:53:52AM -0700, Don Russell wrote:
> Not sure what your situation is, but in the USA laws are underway for
> requiring corporations to keep ALL e-mail ... not sure what the state of
> those laws are.... maybe they won't materialize.... but obviously people
> are thinking along those lines...
>
> Based on your e-mail address, I assume you are not subject to US laws
> etc... but I think it's a "sign" of things to come in the corporate world.

Some possible future law in some silly country has nothing to do with
Baltasar's original technical question, which is completely legitimate;
offering POP3 access to all and IMAP only to some.

Baltasar:

You could use different passdb's under pop3 and imap, using the allow_nets
extra field: http://wiki.dovecot.org/PasswordDatabase/ExtraFields/AllowNets

You would allow pop3 access to all, imap access to some from any IP and to
others only from the webmail server(s) IP('s).

	Geert