[Dovecot] Disable IMAP for certain users, but not Webmailer

Don Russell russell.don at gmail.com
Sun Aug 5 18:28:12 EEST 2007

FORMER 03 | Baltasar Cevc wrote:
> Hi everybody,
>
> I'm planning to set up our new mail system using the Dovecot mailbox
> server. It mostly works fine yet (it's quite straigt forward to set up,
> I'd say), but there's a thing I haven't been able to find out yet. We
> provide POP3 access for all users, but want to restrict IMAP access to
> some of them (because IMAP users tend to leave more messages on the
> server, thus increasing storage needs).

[snip]

1 - storage is cheap - Costco sells a 1 TByte external drive for approx
$US 300. That holds a LOT of e-mail. The 500 GByte is less than half
that price.
2 - why not enforce quotas? I assume you could set quotas by user.

POP users could opt to keep a copy on the server, so that doesn't
guarantee anything.

I prefer IMAP because then I can access the same mail from different
clients computers...