[Dovecot] OpenBSD and too many open files

Quentin Garnier cube at cubidou.net
Wed Aug 1 19:43:05 EEST 2007

On Wed, Aug 01, 2007 at 09:36:49AM -0700, Bryan Vyhmeister wrote:
> On Aug 1, 2007, at 9:25 AM, Quentin Garnier wrote:
>
> >Sounds more like a file descriptor leak.  Check fstat output so see
> >what
> >kind of descriptors are leaked, how fast, etc.
>
> Thank you for your quick response. Unfortunately, I restarted dovecot
> this morning and so this probably isn't very helpful now but here it
> is anyway. What should I be looking for to indicate a leak? The
> outputs of 'fstat -u _dovecot' and 'fstat -u _dovecot_login' follow:

Oh, you're using kqueue.  I didn't know OpenBSD eventually grew support
for it.

FWIW, I've stopped using dovecot's kqueue code quite some time ago
because it would leak one fd almost every login, leading to the kind of
situation you experience.  I wish I had the time to debug that, but
unfortunately...

--
Quentin Garnier - cube at cubidou.net - cube at NetBSD.org
"You could have made it, spitting out benchmarks