[Dovecot] Mixing MBOX and Maildir?

Jonathan Stewart jonathan at kc8onw.net
Mon Apr 23 20:08:11 EEST 2007

Marc Perkel wrote:
> Why couldn't this be done. If you re in maildir mode opening a folder
> you are expecting a directory structure:
>
> .folder
> .folder/cur
> .folder/tmp
> .folder/new
>
> However if instead you find an mbox file called:
>
> folder
>
> Then you just open it as mbox and have it work automatically. Or
> alternatively translate it to maildir automagically.

You could, but my impression is that Timo would consider that to be
adding too much complexity to the code for the benefit.  It could also
be a performance issue due to the fact it would probably require at
least one extra syscall per access.

He may have suggestions on where to start if you wanted to create a
local patch for something like that but I think there are other things
he wants to get done first.

Of course I could be totally wrong so take this message with the
proverbial grain of salt.

Jonathan