[Dovecot] Duplicate E-mail Problem

Phillip T. George Phillip at StellarDreams.com
Tue Apr 17 00:11:03 EEST 2007

Phillip T. George wrote:
> Timo Sirainen wrote:
>> On Mon, 2007-04-16 at 13:21 -0500, Phillip T. George wrote:
>>
>>> Apr 16 12:51:45 east dovecot: IMAP(user.domain.com),
>>> IP(70.177.64.93): copy -> Spam: uid=718, msgid=<sameid at domain.com>
>>> Apr 16 12:51:45 east dovecot: IMAP(user.domain.com),
>>> IP(70.168.68.56): copy -> Spam: uid=718, msgid=<sameid at domain.com>
>>>
>>> It appears that the problem is that the user has two email programs
>>> running the same filters at the same time.  Somehow, this creates a
>>> duplicate message.  Any clues as to why this might be?  Are there
>>> any options that may cause this behavior to change?  I thought maybe
>>> the options "maildir_copy_with_hardlinks" and/or
>>> "maildir_copy_preserve_filename" may be helpful options...(they're
>>> both set to the default of 'no').
>>>

>> The message gets duplicated to Spam of course, but do you mean it also
>> gets duplicated to INBOX?
>>
>> If you meant that they're duplicated in Spam, it just can't be helped.
>> It's perfectly valid for an IMAP client to copy the same message twice
>> to another mailbox. Set up a server-side filtering instead.
>>

> Its copied twice to Spam...its not in the INBOX any longer.
> Well...the duplicates were not a problem before when using
> courier-imap (though on a different server).  I'm not too terribly
> concerned with the issue any longer, as the issue could very much
> considered client side.  Thanks for the help!  If you do have any
> other suggestions (or if anyone else does) on fixing the issue, I'd
> still like to know.
>
> -Phillip

Oh..hmm.  I may have left an important part of the log file out...it was
previously grepped, but here it is, with the delete line in the middle:
Apr 16 12:51:45 east dovecot: IMAP(user.domain.com), IP(70.177.64.93):
copy -> Spam: uid=718, msgid=<sameid at domain.com>
Apr 16 12:51:45 east dovecot: IMAP(user.domain.com), IP(70.177.64.93):
deleted: uid=718, msgid=<sameid at domain.com>
Apr 16 12:51:45 east dovecot: IMAP(user.domain.com), IP(70.168.68.56):
copy -> Spam: uid=718, msgid=<sameid at domain.com>

The other important part is that there is not a delete after that, but
the mail is not still in the inbox.  So instead of copy, delete, copy,
its actually of copy, copy, delete -- which is inconsistent with the log
file.

-Phillip