[Dovecot] Comment from OpenLDAP developer regarding "deferring operations"

Ben Beuchler insyte at gmail.com
Thu Apr 12 03:50:10 EEST 2007

I received this response from a member of the OpenLDAP core team when
asking about meaning of the deferred operations I was seeing.

Is it possible that this is what I'm seeing, Timo?

-Ben

I'd note that if your client is performing search + bind on the same
connection in an asynchronous manner, then the server behavior as per
RFC4511 is undefined, since a server is not supposed to be willing to
handle operations intermixed with binds until a bind is concluded.  That
is, any operation can be multiplexed on a single LDAP connection
__except__ binds, which must be serialized.  A more appropriate client
for that type of operations would need to use at least 2 connections,
one for searches and one for binds, and the one for binds should take
care of either performing synchronous binds, or in any case to wait for
response to a bind before performing another.  In case of failure (e.g.
timeout) while waiting for bind response, the connection should be
trashed (see ldap_unbind_ext(3)) and recreated.  This is what is done,
for example, by slapd-ldap(5).

p.

Ing. Pierangelo Masarati
OpenLDAP Core Team