[Dovecot] Time just moved backwards

Sean Kamath kamath at geekoids.com
Mon Apr 9 05:24:20 EEST 2007

On Apr 8, 2007, at 2:20 PM, Bill Cole wrote:
>> You should *NEVER* have the clock jump back in time (except during
>> DST changes -- yuk).
>
> DST changes (at least on sane systems) do not change the system
> clock time. Time zones are a cosmetic feature, i.e. how humans are
> shown a description of time.  For example, the following are
> different ways of displaying exactly the same time:
>
> 12:03 PM -0700 4/8/07
> 15:03 PM EDT 4/8/07
> 14:03 PM EST 4/8/07
> 19:03 PM -0000 4/8/07
> 00:03 PM +0500 4/9/07

I'd just like to publicly proclaim that I'm an idiot.  I knew that.
And it wasn't even at 4am, which is my usual excuse.  This after two
to three weeks of the stupid DST change here in the US.

> It is important for people to understand how much simpler it is now
> to run  basically functional and non-abusive NTP than it was even 5
> years ago. The work put into making pool.ntp.org usable has
> essentially eliminated the need to think much about NTP for most
> sites.

Absolutely!  It's been standard on Macs for some time (it's how it
syncs with time.apple.com, etc).  It's just braindead easy for one or
two machines.  If you have more than that, making one or two machines
as broadcast/multicast servers and having everything use them is
straightforward, too.

Sean