[Dovecot] ssl connections frozen, client times out

Timo Sirainen tss at iki.fi
Tue Apr 3 12:35:41 EEST 2007

On Tue, 2007-04-03 at 04:12 -0400, Steve Mulligan wrote:
> I'm using the latest Thunderbird & Dovecot.   I'm trying to setup either
> pop3s or imaps.  The plain versions of the protocols both work fine for
> me, even with the TLS option selected in Thunderbird.  But when I try to
> use the ssl versions, my client does not negotiate - it just time's out.

Since it might just as well be a Thunderbird configuration problem, try
with openssl directly:

openssl s_client -connect localhost:995

If it works, try remotely the same in case it's a firewall problem. If
that works too, it's just a Thunderbird problem.

> protocol pop3 {
>   ssl_disable = no
>   verbose_ssl = yes
>   #listen = *:123
>   #ssl_listen = *:110

I hope you've never actually tried to use this "ssl_listen = *:110"
setting? pop3s is in port 995.