[Dovecot] prefetch + static + deliver

Tom Bombadil grlists at gmail.com
Mon Apr 2 19:28:17 EEST 2007

Timo Sirainen wrote:
> On Fri, 2007-03-30 at 14:27 -0700, Tom Bombadil wrote:
>> "If you're using Dovecot's local delivery agent, you'll still need a
>> valid userdb which it can use to locate the users. You can do this by
>> adding a normal sql/ldap userdb after userdb prefetch."
>>
>> (http://wiki.dovecot.org/UserDatabase/Prefetch)
>>
>> My question is:
>>
>> Does it need to be a SQL/LDAP userdb? How about static or passwd?
>
> It doesn't *have* to be, but I think you're doing something very weird
> if imap/pop logins use SQL while deliver uses passwd..
>
> And if you can use static as userdb, prefetch is pointless.

Cool! great news. We want to use it with static actually, not passwd.
And yes, it's a bit weird, but not that much:

When we receive mail, before spam scanning, we rewrite the alias address
to the real user address (for various reasons, being user/alias
uniqueness in dspam database one of them). So, deliver can just use the
real user address with static to avoid unnecessary queries.

But our users can login to IMAP using either the real address or the
alias address, so we want to use virtual users with checkpassword +
prefetch to resolve the homedir.

Hopefully this is not so crazy :D

Thanks a lot!