[Dovecot] Multiple certificates

Phill Edwards philledwards at gmail.com
Thu Oct 26 13:43:19 UTC 2006

I have dovecot version 1.0 relese 0.beta8.2.fc5 installed on my FC5
linux box. It acts as an IMAP server to my home LAN. I connect to it
from the home PCs over SSL and have installed a certificate in the
domain imap.edwards.home to enable this.

However, I also use a web site called www.xs2mail.com which retrieves
the email from my IMAP server (which has a public DNS entry called
XXX.homelinux.com) and displays them in a web interface. I used to run
uw-imap and this all worked fine. But since I went to Dovecot I can't
use that site any more because it gives me this message:

Login failure: Certificate failure for XXX.homelinux.com: self signed
certificate: /C=AU/ST=NSW/L=Sydney/O=Edwards/OU=IMAP
server/CN=imap.edwards.home/emailAddress=philledwards at gmail.com

I assume it's getting upset because the certificate is for
imap.edwards.home but the domain it's connecting to is
XXX.homelinux.com. Is there a way to resolve this? I read something
about using virtual servers but all I could find is this in a post
somewhere - I don't know which file it goes, where in that file etc:

<snip>
1.0-tests support "virtual servers", where this is possible:

server foo {
  listen = 1.2.3.4
  ssl_cert_file = /etc/ssl/certs/foo.cer
}

server bar {
  listen = 1.2.3.5
  ssl_cert_file = /etc/ssl/certs/bar.cer
}
</snip>

Can anyone help me figure this out?

(PS - I can't just set up my own IMAP web interface because I can't
run anything on port 80 with my ISP and I can't get out of our company
firewall on anything other than port 80).

Thanks in advance,
Phill