[Dovecot] Subscription file

Steven F Siirila sfs at tc.umn.edu
Tue Oct 17 21:26:49 UTC 2006

Background:

We are a UW-IMAP shop, using mbox format.  (!)
We are in the process of upgrading to Dovecot, hopefully to 1.0 proper. :)
One of the modifications we have been using in test versions of Dovecot
involve the move of the user subscription file from:

	IMAP-root/.subscriptions

to:

	$HOME/.mailboxlist

Rather than having to make changes to Dovecot source code each time a new
release comes out, it would seem to make sense to have a way to configure
this from dovecot.conf.  Something like:

	# Default (%i denotes IMAP root):
	#imap_subscription_file = %i/.subscriptions

	# UW-imap-style (%h denotes home directory):
	#imap_subscription_file = %h/.mailboxlist

While it makes sense to me to have the subscription file where it is in
Dovecot by default, it would be a substantial undertaking to determine
where to move the .mailboxlist to in our environment for each user, since
there is no easy way to determine what a user's IMAP root directory is set
to in their client.

Thoughts?

--

Steven F. Siirila			Office: Lind Hall, Room 130B
Internet Services			E-mail: sfs at umn.edu
Office of Information Technology	Voice: (612) 626-0244
University of Minnesota			Fax: (612) 626-7593