[Dovecot] Confused about what MTA, MDA, IMAP/POP server to use

Netlink Tech tech at netlinkcom.com
Fri Mar 31 16:41:22 EEST 2006

Maybe I am going about this wrong.
If I don't use virtual users w/mysql, it seems much less complicated for config for dovecot, sendmail/procmail/smtp_auth.
The only difference then is that I can't have the user at domain1.com and user at domain2.com as mailboxes. I would use sendmail/virtusertable to alias user at domain1.com to the system user user1 and user at domain2.com to the system user user2.
Will using the password/shadow/pam auth method be as fast and handle as many users as auth to a mysql db? (i.e. would 10,000 mail users cause a slowdown with system users and not if using mysql?)