[Dovecot] Shared namespaces

Mark Lidstone mlidstone at ngal.co.uk
Thu Mar 30 10:45:33 EEST 2006

Hi Timo,

Thanks for the reply.

In my case it should default to "yes".  It allows people to only see the folders with email relating to their projects.  At the moment when a project finishes we have to move it to another store so that it's not clogging up everyone's public folder list.  Allowing people to only see the folders they want is one of the features that has attracted us to shared namespaces.

> Unfortunately I don't think it's easy to currently make namespace's
> subscriptions exist in another namespace. I'll add this in
> TODO, but you
> could maybe kludge around this by changing the code, eg. set
> umask to 0
> before file_dotlock_open() in
> src/lib-storage/subscription-file/subscription-file.c and back to
> original value afterwards.

Don't add it in the TODO - you've already done it (basically).

I'd cobbled together a real kludge to use the dovecot-shared permissions on the subscriptions file (kinda - only the group permissions, not the user) and was about to post it to the list when I came across the way you'd already handled it.

The subscriptions file is stored in the folder pointed to with the "CONTROL" directive - I just put this to a separate place for every user and it works fine.

The only thing that's left is getting this added to the Wiki - I don't think anyone's done that yet.

Thanks,

Mark

CONFIDENTIAL

The information contained in this e-mail and any attachment is
confidential.  It is intended only for the named addressee(s).  If you
are not the named addressee please notify the sender immediately and
do not disclose, copy or distribute the contents to any other person
other than the intended addressee(s).

VIRUSES

The contents of an attachment to this e-mail may contain software
viruses which could damage your own computer system.  While BMT Nigel Gee
and Associates Ltd has taken every reasonable precaution to minimise
this risk, we cannot accept liability for any damage which you sustain
as a result of software viruses.  You should carry out your own virus
checks before opening the attachment.