[Dovecot] Dovecot abort while selecting INBOX

Joshua Wise joshua.wise at gmail.com
Sun Mar 26 20:51:30 EEST 2006

Hello all,

Recently, I was setting up SpamAssassin and procmail on my system
(used to run Courier, and was converted using Courier convert
scripts). I was setting up a rule in PINE to filter all previously
marked SPAM messages into a folder, when I suddenly got disconnected
from the IMAP server. I attempted to reconnect, but any attempts to
access my INBOX would disconnect me.

I looked in /var/log/mail.log on my server, and found this:
Mar 26 12:42:17 dashnine dovecot: imap-login: Login: user=<joshua>,
method=PLAIN, rip=127.0.0.1, lip=127.0.0.1, secured
Mar 26 12:42:17 dashnine dovecot: imap(joshua): Trying to allocate 0 bytes
Mar 26 12:42:17 dashnine dovecot: child 31035 (imap) killed with signal 6

Looks like Dovecot aborted.

I grabbed a tcpdump of the event after turning off SSL, which is
available at http://joshuawise.com/pine.imap.tcpdump .

My system is, summarized:
  * A Linux x86 machine: Linux dashnine 2.6.12.3 #2 Sun Aug 7 18:56:14
EDT 2005 i686 GNU/Linux
  * A Debian machine: testing/unstable
  * Running Dovecot from Debian: 1.0.beta3
  * Converted from Courier using convert scripts
  * Using Postfix and Procmail
  * Using Maildirs in home directories (although in this case,
lrwxrwxrwx  1 joshua joshua 23 Mar 11 22:08 Maildir ->
/media/Maildirs/joshua/)
  * Using PINE connecting to Dovecot on localhost to access email

Let me know if you want more information, or if you want me to try
anything in particular.

Thanks,
joshua