[Dovecot] How Can I Add New Flags

Timo Sirainen tss at iki.fi
Sat Mar 25 12:30:59 EET 2006

On Thu, 2006-03-16 at 10:18 +0200, Sezai KARATOZ wrote:
> >If you're talking about marking some message with IMAP flag (I mean with
> >IMAP "store" command), I beleive that dovecot supports arbitrary flag
> >names - notice that it includes "\*" in the PERMANENTFLAGS untagged
> >response...
>
> >Cheers,
> >-jkt
>
> I add some IMAP flags manually. For example, file name is
> "1130254412.14251.devsearch:2,",
> i add "M" flag to file physical by using "mv" command in linux. I want to
> add this flag to Dovecot
> to understand this. Is there a way by using  .keywords file.

Well, there isn't any simple way to do this. Either you'd have to change
the Dovecot's code to hardcode the "M" flag in there (maybe not too
difficult), or you could try using Dovecot's keywords instead. The
keywords use letters a..z in the filename, so you could set eg. "a"
instead of the "M", and make sure each mailbox has dovecot-keywords file
with the first keyword being set to "newsletter".

Hmm. I assume you meant anyway that this flag should show up to IMAP
clients in some way?