[Dovecot] first crack at auto-trash plugin

Timo Sirainen tss at iki.fi
Sat Mar 25 10:57:42 EET 2006

On Tue, 2006-03-21 at 15:47 -0500, David Powers wrote:
> I have written an alpha version of an auto trash plugin for dovecot.
> When compiled in any mail expunged from a non-Trash folder is moved to a
> folder named Trash.  As of yet the folder is not created if it doesn't
> exist (the process fails before expunge).  I would appreciate feedback
> of any sort.  In addition, I am currently getting an error I haven't
> been able to puzzle out in the logs when it runs:
>
> Mar 21 15:22:01 david dovecot: imap(david at grayskies.net): Timeout leak:
> 0x807fad0

Probably because you're not calling mailbox_close() for the mailbox you
opened.

> I see that it seems to relate to transactions somehow, but my few hours
> of playing with dovecot haven't given me the answer - so ideas/patches
> to the code would also be nice.

One problem is that it doesn't support "UID EXPUNGE" command where the
command allows giving an UID range of the messages to expunge. Although
Dovecot doesn't yet announce the UIDPLUS capability for this command,
because it's only partially implemented, so at least currently it isn't
a problem.

Maybe a bit cleaner way would be to hook into the actual expunge handler
and do the copying there before calling the real expunge handler. I
think that should work anyway :) plugins/acl/acl-mailbox.c shows an
example how to do this.