[Dovecot] Method of archiving mail?

Daniel Watts d at nielwatts.com
Fri Mar 24 17:02:24 EET 2006

I've been thinking of some kind of compressed archive system too.
Every night messages older than x days are compressed and added to an
archive on a slower, less expensive, but larger storage location (eg
over NFS).

The user has access to a folder called "Archive" that, when requestsed,
is decompressed and served up.
It is presented in such a way that the user knows this is a slower
storage format.
eg may be they do a two step process of "Mounting Archive" then "Access
Archive".
I'd expect Mounting to take up to 60 seconds.

Then you can offer larger quotas on the Archive filesystem and keep the
primary mail system empty, quick and responsive.

I haven't progressed to the stage where I've thought how one would
actually go about this. Work out what you want it to look like from the
user's perspective first and then work backwards to find out what you
need to do to make that happen.

Daniel