[Dovecot] Imap Timeouts

Curtis Maloney cmaloney at cardgate.net
Thu Mar 23 23:59:37 EET 2006

Dean Blackburn wrote:

> I'm running beta3 (upgraded from beta1) on OS X 10.4.4, and we're
> basically seeing two problems:
>
> 1) total imap/dovecot crash after a period of repeated "too many files
> open" errors... Restarting fixes it, but we'll see if increasing the
> open files limit is the answer or not... Never run into this with
> anything before, so I'm not confident;

Several other people on this list have run into this problem, and I believe
raising the limit has solved the issue for them.

> 2) individual user accounts will become inaccessible occasionally when
> multiple clients are hitting the account at once (checking from home and
> work) - deleting all dovecot* files in the maildir fixes this, but... I
> thought Dovecot was supposed to catch this kind of thing and regenerate
> the files by itself? I think this is also the "locking problem" in the
> sense that once this occurs, the directory will fill up with lockfiles
> for each message the user unsuccessfully tries to load from the client
> side.

This really sounds like a locking issue more than index corruption.  Are your
INDEX and CONTROL files stored on NFS?  I believe this is still discouraged,
with the next version having better/safer locking.

--
Curtis Maloney
cmaloney at cardgate.net