[Dovecot] Digest-MD5 authentication problems

Trev Peterson trev at advanced-reality.com
Thu Mar 16 16:14:42 EET 2006

Hello,

I have dovecot setup to pull passwords stored in plain from a database.
My allowed authentication mechanisms are cram-md5 and digest-md5.  Cram
works but digest fails on my evolution client with and authentication
failed.  The server is running dovecot 0.99.14-1 on debian sarge.  The
user logging in is test at advanced-reality.com.

Some potentially relevant portions of dovecot.conf are:
auth_mechanisms = digest-md5 cram-md5
auth_default_realm =
auth_user = dovecot-auth

>From the logs with auth_verbose = yes and auth_debug = yes in
dovecot.conf:
Mar 16 08:12:51 localhost dovecot-auth: PGSQL: Performing query: SELECT
password FROM mailbox WHERE username = 'test' AND domain =
'advanced-reality.com' AND active IS TRUE
Mar 16 08:12:51 localhost dovecot-auth:
digest-md5(test at advanced-reality.com): password mismatch
Mar 16 08:12:51 localhost pop3-login: Aborted login [64.81.224.97]

Some preliminary searching led me to this:
http://www.dovecot.org/list/dovecot/2003-November/002598.html

Is there a problem with digest-md5 in this version of dovecot?
Any pointers on how to troubleshoot this further?

Any additional help is appreciated.  Let me know if additional
information is needed.  Thanks
--
Trev Peterson <trev at advanced-reality.com>
Advanced Reality