[Dovecot] Shared Folders Problem. Bug?

Adam M. Dunn adunn at hgsc.bcm.tmc.edu
Thu Mar 16 02:12:47 EET 2006

I'm trying to get shared folders to work, and I've noticed a few issues.
I created a private and public namespace, the private one with
autodetection for Maildir or Mbox, and the public one for a public folder.
Something like this:

namespace private {
  separator = /
  inbox = yes
  prefix =
  location =
}

namespace public {
  separator = /
  prefix = Public/
  location = maildir:/var/mail/public
}

My plan is to eventually setup a public area for users to drop Spam and
Ham into for my spam bayesan filter.

The problem is the Wiki says if you drop a file in the public area called
'dovecot-shared' with the same permissions and ownership, that any new
files dovecot creates there will use those same attributes.  This does not
seem to be the case.  I created a Maildir folder identical to the one on
the Wiki, named everything 'dovecot:dovecot' since my dovecot server will
be running as that user, as well as the 'dovecot-shared' file.  I get
permission denied errors in syslog when I try to access it via an IMAP
client.  The only way I can make it work is ignore the dovecot-share file
and put all users in a common unix group and make the Public folder
group 'rwx'.

Also, I would like to be able to make the Public folder writable, but not
readable.  It seems if I take the read bit away, my IMAP clients complain.
Does anyone know how to make that work?

One thing about the namespaces while I'm at it.  I had to put my private
namespace first followed by the public one.  If I reversed them, all the
subfolders except the inbox in my mail directories disappear from the
client.  Is that a bug too?

Thanks,
Adam