[Dovecot] Segfault problem when using TWO dovecot servers!

Timo Sirainen tss at iki.fi
Thu Mar 9 23:38:49 EET 2006

On Mar 9, 2006, at 11:15 PM, Adam M. Dunn wrote:

> We also want failover.  Mail/home directories are NFS mounted.  I was
> planning to setup two dovecot servers, and noticed that whenever one
> server writes its temp files to the mail directory, if another server
> tries to read it you get a segfault and the child process fails and
> dies.
> So it basically looks like only one server can own the files, and
> it won't
> share.  I considered trying to set the INDEX option on the mail
> boxes to
> write local indexes, but if I try to specify something like:
> default_mail_env = INDEX=/var/indexes/%d/%n, it doesn't work.  Sure
> I can
> make it work by putting in a mailbox format before the INDEX, but
> then I
> can't use the autodetect which I need.

There's currently no way to setup autodetection + indexes elsewhere.
You could somewhat easily modify the sources though (lib-storage/
index/*/*-storage.c *_create()).

But if you take the latest nightly Dovecot snapshot, it should work
pretty well with indexes in NFS also, as long as you set
mmap_disable=yes and change lock_method.

As for the segfault, it shouldn't really be doing that, but you'd
need to give gdb backtrace for me to figure out why it happens, see
http://dovecot.org/bugreport.html