[Dovecot] Overriding inbox location in passwd-like file

Václav Haisman V.Haisman at sh.cvut.cz
Wed Mar 8 17:53:49 EET 2006

Hi,
I have some real users and some virtual users. The real users use mbox
file as their inbox.

But I'd like to use Maildir as inbox for the virtual users. (The reason
is that I am actually moving some accounts from another server that
already uses Maildir.) I'd like Dovecot to find Maildir in $HOME of my
virtual users as their inbox. So I tried to use the following in my
users.passwd file:

test:{PLAIN}some_password:30003:30003::/home/vmail/domain/test:/bin/false::maildir:%h/Maildir/:INBOX=maildir:%h/Maildir/

Unfortunatelly this doesn't work and dies with this message:

Mar  8 16:44:25 logout dovecot: imap(test): Ambiguous mail location
setting, don't know what to do with it:
/home/vmail/isc.cvut.cz/test/mbox (try prefixing it with mbox: or maildir:)
Mar  8 16:44:25 logout dovecot: imap(test): Failed to create storage for
'' with data: /home/vmail/isc.cvut.cz/test/mbox
Mar  8 16:44:25 logout dovecot: child 41976 (imap) returned error 89

Is it even possible to override the setting from dovecot.conf like this?

Vaclav Haisman