[Dovecot] Shared Folders (1.0beta3)

Timo Sirainen tss at iki.fi
Mon Mar 6 22:54:26 EET 2006

On Mon, 2006-03-06 at 18:45 +0800, Timothy White wrote:
> A few quick questions, as documentation seems to be sparse.
> * Is there a way to force a shared folder to be subscribed to? If I am
> using SquirrelMail I have a plugin to do that, but not if they are
> using another IMAP client.

There are some dirty ways, such as you could execute a script instead of
imap binary in mail_executable, and make the script subscribe to the
folder if it's not subscribed.

I've thought about adding a custom unsubscribe ACL so that users
couldn't unsubscribe even if they wanted to.

> * Are there some sort of ACL's on shared folders, so that I can
> (hopefully with a sql backend), allow different users different
> permissions on the folder?

In CVS there's support for Courier-like ACL files. SQL backend could be
implemented, but it's not in my near future plans. Any suggestions how
its schema would look like?

> * Is it a bug that we can't subscribe to the shared folder, only to
> it's sub folders? (and is there a way to work around this, i.e. if the
> shared folder isn't really a Maildir, but it's sub folders are?

I'm not sure what you mean. I'd guess you're trying to subscribe to
shared namespace root? It only means it's a namespace root, not a
mailbox directly. So typically you'd have some "shared/" namespace under
which all the shared mailboxes are.