[Dovecot] How to use filters with the LDA?

martin f krafft madduck at madduck.net
Wed Jun 28 12:30:22 EEST 2006

also sprach Peter Fern <dovecot at obfusc8.org> [2006.06.28.1101 +0200]:
> > I am trying to deploy dovecot LDA and liking it so far. However,
> > I need to pass the message through some filters before it's
> > delivered to the user (e.g. spamc). I realise I can just set up
> > a chain (postfix delivers to spamc, pipes to foo, pipes to bar,
> > pipes to deliver), but there's no reliable error handling with that
> > approach.
> >
> I do this using postfix, dspam via LMTP and deliver, and it does indeed
> have reliable error handling.

Yeah, but this is not per-user, right? dspam does not need per-user
because of it's cookie support, but I have some filters here that
aren't this "smart".

> > What would be really sweet is an LDA plugin that can call arbitrary
> > filters for each message it processes. Has something (obvious) like
> > this been done?
> >
> I don't believe this has been coded, but the new deliver uses sieve as a
> plugin, so I don't see why this shouldn't be possible.  You could always
> write one ;)

Ha! Thanks for the confidence in my coding skills.

Does the sieve plugin use libsieve or the sieve binary?

  \____ echo mailto: !#^."<*>"|tr "<*> mailto:" net at madduck

spamtraps: madduck.bogus at madduck.net

"i like .net for the same reason i like gentoo. it keeps all the
 people with no clue from writing c code, which is much harder for me
 to identify and eliminate from my systems. in the same way that
 gentoo gives those people a place to be that isn't in debian"
                                                  -- andrew suffield