[Dovecot] quotas on shared folders

Nicolas Boullis nicolas.boullis at ecp.fr
Mon Jun 26 16:48:55 EEST 2006

Timo Sirainen wrote:

> Usually users have quotas, not mailboxes.

Well... Physical (standard/snail/surface/whatever) mail boxes generally
have a physical size, which means it is not possible to put more than a
certain amount of mails. The size of the box does not care about who has
the key and/or who put the mails in the box.

I think it should be the same for electronic mail boxes, although I
don't know how/if it can be implemented with the imap quota standard...

> I think usually the user who has created the shared mailbox is
> responsible for its quota, so no matter who writes to the mailbox the
> owner's quota is always used for it.
>
> If the mailbox is a "public mailbox" without any specific owner, then I
> don't know really.. Unless some virtual user was created for this
> purpose.

I was thinking about such public mailboxes...

> In any case currently if mailbox exists in shared namespace Dovecot just
> doesn't count quota for it. And I'm not planning to change this before
> doing a larger rewrite to support shared folders properly.

OK. Thanks anyway for your explanation, and for making dovecot such a
great server! :-)

Cheers,

Nicolas