[Dovecot] recent dovecot: assertion failed.

sergey ivanov seriv at parkheights.dyndns.org
Fri Jun 23 20:02:02 EEST 2006

Dumitru Negara wrote:
> Hi Sergey,
>
> sergey ivanov wrote:
>> Hi,
>> today I have built dovecot from cvs sources, and upgraded server from
>> beta-7 to this newer version.
>> Then i got problems with opening INBOX using thunderbird 1.5.0.2. The
>> client says "Opening folder...",  then, after about half a minute,
>> blinking "connecting to the server" and returning to "Opening folder..."
>> /var/log/maillog gets the messages:
>> ---
>> Jun 22 17:19:07 parkheights dovecot: imap-login: Login: user=<seriv>,
>> method=plain, rip=66.80.117.2, lip=192.168.10.14, TLS
>> Jun 22 17:19:26 parkheights dovecot: IMAP(seriv): file
>> index-search.c: line 845 (search_get_seqset): assertion failed:
>> (ctx->seq1 <= ctx->seq2)
>> Jun 22 17:19:26 parkheights dovecot: child 25812 (imap) killed with
>> signal 6
>> ---
>> and this lines repeat and repeat.
>>
>> [cut]
> I guess this problem was generated by one of this patches:
> http://www.dovecot.org/list/dovecot-cvs/2006-June/005915.html
> http://www.dovecot.org/list/dovecot-cvs/2006-June/005917.html
> http://www.dovecot.org/list/dovecot-cvs/2006-June/005918.html
> http://www.dovecot.org/list/dovecot-cvs/2006-June/005919.html
>
> So, with dovecot-20060620.tar.gz or dovecot-20060621.tar.gz you will
> have this problem. Try dovecot-20060619.tar.gz. It works great for me.

Hi Dumitru,
Thank you very much, I finally did as you suggested.
I tried to set to servers, one beta7 which can deal with these mails,
and close to it - another, from sources pulled from CVS 06/22/2006, and
in thunderbird just copy messages from old server's maildir to new one.
New servers can't do it, - the same problem appears at some problem
message copying.
I think there should be some script or utility to convert mail and fix
such problems in maildirs. Without it I can't upgrade because of
problems in my mailbox.
I think these problems may be result of copying messages to maildir's
"cur" folder directly, with cp or rsync, without dovecot's interface,
from other IMAP servers.
--
    Sergey.