[Dovecot] Help! Uidlist files are gone and won't come back; imap keeps coredumping!

Mario Nigrovic-rvvk40 Mario.Nigrovic at freescale.com
Mon Jun 19 20:59:24 EEST 2006

Timo Sirainen wrote:
> On Mon, 2006-06-19 at 08:03 -0700, Mario Nigrovic-rvvk40 wrote:
>> Timo -
>>
>>    The only behavior change that I notice is that when I exit the telnet session the truss also exits.  Previously, the truss hung around until I did the "pkill dovecot", after exiting the telnet session.  So, that's weird.  But, hold on!  Now I do seem to have a uidlist file, again!
>
> I'd say there's something really wrong with your NFS. What that patch
> did was close the dovecot-uidlist file before rename()ing it. It
> shouldn't have been necessary. There are probably other places in
> Dovecot code which also do that, so that's probably why it didn't get
> fixed entirely.
>
> What Solaris version are you using?

SunOS velocity 5.8 Generic_117350-06 sun4u sparc

The NFS server is NetApp Release 6.5.3P4

Here's another NFS weirdness detail:

I've got just a ton of .nfs files all over my .mail subdirectory.  I think these are the byproduct of our NFS server's keeping snapshot files around, but I'm not sure.  Typical content is like:

% head .nfsED2F8 .nfs80729 .nfs0E528
==> .nfsED2F8 <==
0 NonJunk

==> .nfs80729 <==
0 unknown-0
1 unknown-1
2 unknown-2
3 unknown-3
4 unknown-4
5 unknown-5
6 unknown-6
7 unknown-7
8 unknown-8
9 unknown-9

==> .nfs0E528 <==
1 1129102770.584_0.savant:2,S
2 1130279636.12280_0.savant:2,S
3 1130286944.21913_0.savant:2,S
4 1130289887.25264_0.savant:2,S
5 1130311569.19250_0.savant:2,S
6 1130380470.14692_0.savant:2,S
7 1130428927.9300_0.savant:2,S
8 1131476238.26857_0.savant:2,S
9 1131514339.14518_0.savant:2,RS

So, these look like uidlist files, right?  Interesting.

Also, I've now seen two messages like the following.  Are these usual?

dovecot: Jun 19 09:13:27 Error: IMAP(rvvk40): Maildir /home/mario/.mail/Maildir/.Freescale.ATIC.CMOS65 sync: UIDVALIDITY changed (1150719396 -> 1150728477)

					Mario
--
I don't need a name; my number's just fine. |   Mario.Nigrovic at freescale.com
It's nobody else's -- just mine, all mine.  |                   480-413-3578