[Dovecot] Plain and MD5 passwd for the same user?

Timo Sirainen tss at iki.fi
Sun Jun 18 01:11:20 EEST 2006

On Tue, 2006-06-13 at 18:30 +0200, M. Fioretti wrote:
> Hello,
>
> I'm running dovecot 1.0-0_12.beta8. Since I have only a very small
> number of user on that server, I have their names and password in text
> files, no databases.
>
> imap works both via webmail and via Kmail
>
> Is it possible to have, for the same user, a plain unencrypted
> password when connecting via imap on the local interface (needed, as I
> understand it, to be squirrelmail compatible) and a DIGEST-MD5 one
> when connecting via pop3s or imaps remotely?

When using plaintext authentication the password can be crypted in the
password file. So the solution is to just store the passwords in
DIGEST-MD5 format in the passwd-file and both DIGEST-MD5 and PLAIN
authentication works.

Alternatively you can store also the passwords in plaintext in the
passwd-file and then all current and future authentication mechanisms
work with it.