[Dovecot] 1.0 roadmap

Les Mikesell lesmikesell at gmail.com
Mon Jun 12 18:12:21 EEST 2006

On Mon, 2006-06-12 at 16:45 +0300, Timo Sirainen wrote:

> > From dovecot's perspective it should serve most of the same purposes
> > as an LDA in terms of not having deliveries screw up your
>
> I'm not sure what you mean with this. Delivering the mails to a
> temporary mailbox and copying them from there to the real mailbox at
> least use much more disk I/O than what is saved by having the index
> files always being up-to-date.

System delivery is "someone else's problem" but the point is that you
only have the duplicate work if you specifically want it.  That is,
if most users pop and delete they won't have any of the extra file
creation overhead of maildirs, which I think makes an overall win,
and the transition for those who use imap becomes transparent instead
of needing an awkward coordination between changing delivery methods,
converting the existing mailbox, and changing receiving methods with
delivery stopped while that happens.

--
  Les Mikesell
   lesmikesell at gmail.com