[Dovecot] Fatal: chdir(/home/xxxxx) failed with uid xxx: Permission denied

Timo Sirainen tss at iki.fi
Sun Jun 11 18:35:06 EEST 2006

On Fri, 2006-05-19 at 00:05 -0500, Nick Ortiz wrote:
> Permissions for /home: drwxr-x--x
> Owner for /home: root
> Permissions for /home/*: drwxr-xr-x
> Owner for /home/*: username:username
..
> dovecot: May 18 23:40:04 Fatal: chdir(/home/xxxxx) failed with uid 502:
> Permission denied
..
> Only real resolution I can find refers to SELinux which I do not have
> installed.

So I'm assuming that the /home/xxxxx really is owned by the UID 502? Do
you use NFS or some other special filesystem? If the directory
permissions are correct and it's not SELinux or some other similar ACL
system which prevents the chdir(), then I've really no idea.

All the needed information for reproducing the problem should be there.
If you switch to effective uid 502 and do a chdir() call for that
directory, it should succeed. If it doesn't, there's something in kernel
preventing it.