[Dovecot] Slow caching

Timo Sirainen tss at iki.fi
Sun Jun 11 18:19:26 EEST 2006

On Tue, 2006-05-30 at 15:53 +0100, John Rowe wrote:
> I have just installed dovecot on a RedHat Enterprise 4 clone with exim
> MTA, procmail LDA and mbox format. I'm getting complaints of slow
> caching from a Mac user:
>
>         I think there's still something very sick with [host]'s IMAP
>         server: it just took a full five minutes to cache an attachment
>         (350kb)
>         in an email from [person]. In that time, I couldn't do anything
>         else with
>         mail; it was essentially locked.

That could mean pretty much anything. Probably the best way to debug
this would be to see what actually happens in the process. After the
user has logged in, run:

strace -tt -p pid-of-the-imap-process 2>log

If it shows that most of the time is spent in poll(), then it means the
problem is in client side, network or something else anyway than
Dovecot. And I suspect this is the case. :)