[Dovecot] Problem with dovecot-lda

Timo Sirainen tss at iki.fi
Fri Jun 9 14:09:12 EEST 2006

On Thu, 2006-06-08 at 15:29 +0200, Jef Driesen wrote:
> I have installed the dovecot 1.0 beta3 (package included with Ubuntu
> Dapper Drake) and everything is working very well. Next I wanted to try
> the dovecot lda (for sieve filtering).
>
> In postfix I have "mailbox_command = /usr/lib/dovecot/deliver" and I
> followed the instructions from http://wiki.dovecot.org/LDA. I only
> changed "postmaster_address = postmaster at localdomain.local" and "user =
> dovecot" from the example configuration.
>
> With this configuration, no mail is delivered (discarded?) and in the
> logfile there is this error:
>
> Jun  5 18:10:08 localhost postfix/local[9630]: BFA6D5A403:
> to=<jef at localdomain.local>, relay=local, delay=0, status=bounced (local
> configuration error. Command output: Fatal:
> open(/etc/dovecot/dovecot.conf) failed: Permission denied )
>
> Changing permissions on /etc/dovecot/dovecot.conf to 644 fixes the
> problem, but I think this is not the best solution. Any ideas?

Well, the deliver needs to be able to read the config file, so either
mode 644 or change its group to what deliver is running as (postfix?
mail?). The config file shouldn't contain any secrets so I don't think
being world-readable is a problem anyway.

Once we reach Dovecot 2.0 some day the deliver will connect to config
process via UNIX socket which tells it the configuration. :)