[Dovecot] Using MySQL to store email?

Simon Waters simonw at zynet.net
Wed Jun 7 18:22:20 EEST 2006

On Wednesday 07 Jun 2006 15:32, Lev A. Serebryakov wrote:
> Marc Perkel wrote:
> > To do this with MySQL would be trivial. To do it without a database
> > isn't possible.
>
>   My MUA has ability to do exactly this...
>   In any case, it isn't possible without some server-side (or
> client-side) client program -- MUA or LDA (because dovecot
> doesn't have any filtering abilities by itself). I don't see, why it is
> not possible to write such LDA/pseudo-MUA without database. Simplest way
> is to generate sieve/procmail script...

I think Marc exaggerates when he says "isn't possible", what he means is
difficult, messy, and/or inefficient.

Doing filtering like this in the MUA is hideous anyway, as it locks you to a
MUA (not to say I don't have a copy of thunderbird sorting my IMAP folders
all day long on another machine, but it isn't a robust approach), which is
why a standard for server side mail filtering like SIEVE is so desirable.

However I think Marc has given enough example of things that would likely be
easier with a database. As I said I like the idea of mail in databases, just
some people seems to have unrealistic hopes for what it might achieve. I also
think building "brains" into the mail system is likely the only long term
solution to spam (and spam like problems -- ignoring fixing the large base of
compromised PCs out there).